26 December, 2009

REAL Christmas Joy

You know you work for HOSPICE when your patient cracks open the door and says "Oh just a minute honey, let me go put on my hair!!"
It has become a tradition to participate in a sub for santa project that my friend Lindy puts on every year and it's been amazing (thank you!!).  The last 2 years we have included some of my hospice patients.  It was TRUELY AMAZING  to see their faces light up with a visit, a song, some love and cheer brought to them in a very lonely time for most of them.  
My patients I had to blur the faces because of legal documents I have signed.  The ones that aren't blured are not my patents and I have no HIPPA regulations to apply to:)  We just asked the nurses in the nursing home which people never get visited and dropped in with some holiday cheer.
The girl above made this cute blanket!!  This lady was so happy!!


This sweetheart told us that she started wheeling out to her room thinking "Another Christmas all alone."  She told us how her family lives away and the love of her life died 3 years ago.  Then she said "I thought that until you all came and now I dont't have to spend my Christmas all alone!  Whenever I cuddle this monkey I'll think of this wonderful memory of Christmas."  What a blessing to be apart of this moment.
She was so sweet and SO excited!!
This is one of my patients below with a lack of clothing so Santa brought him some nice warm things ;)
These faces pretty much just say it all.



This lady was so sweet.  It was especially humbling because she was only 31 years old, had been in an accident and was paralyzed with brain damage.  She has two twin daughters that she hardly ever gets to see :(
She was SO excited to get his cute hat that Sierra made!
This cute guy came with us that is 6'5 and every time the ladies would see us they would size us up and down and then get a huge grin when they saw him.  It was so funny...they were LOVING HIM!!  This lady said " I used to say 'bring me in Tom Selleck' but now I'll say 'bring me in him!' "  ha ha
Sweet patient from Lebanon.  
I hope these photos brought some joy to your heart and could help remind you as they did me, that we are all so AMAZINGLY blessed!  Happy holidays!

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Heids, you are a sweetheart! I love all those old gooers, they are so cute!!!
You are such an amazing person!