23 March, 2009

Moab 1/2 Marathon

I loved running the moab 1/2 marathon this weekend. Look how many people were there! I guess there is a big raffle to even get in the race(I took someone's spot that got injured). There were like 4,000 people running the 1/2 and another 1,000 running the 5 mile race. They bused us up the canyon then we got to run down 13.1 miles and enjoy the scenery. It was beautiful!

Stretching before the race. We had to wait over an hour to start the race after we were bused up. Everyone was peeing all over the canyons cause you get this nervous/pre-race bladder right before. Good times.

So here's the worst part of the whole thing. On the way up I was telling everyone how I ALWAYS run with music. I love it and it totally keeps me going and gets me all pumped up when I'm way tired. Well, of course I made a whole new playlist which included 'power of love' (you know, from back to the future) and 99 red balloons clear to 'just dance' and 'Don't cha'. Anyways, it's crazy what songs get people going :)
I tested it and charged it the night before and OF COURSE when I went to start it at the beginning of the race IT WAS FROZEN! It wouldn't work! I was panicking! I was NOT running 13 miles in silence!
Well, then I started praying! and praying and praying! (oh the things we pray about..some silly ipod..but I'm sure you can all relate to some degree). I thought that if I had enough faith, He would for sure fix the ipod for me! About mile 4 I was bargaining with the Lord I think.
"Hey! This will make a great lesson or talk on faith! I could tell about the time that I prayed and then finally my ipod worked."
Well people, no such luck. It didn't work the WHOLE TIME. Blasted. It was ok though and actually pretty entertaining listening to other runners blab about nonsence while they run like how many calories they have eaten or how they could run so much faster when they were younger, etc etc.


But I FINISHED! And was very happy to get this glass of water. Notice that my big headphones are still on. Yep, I had to carry them or keep them on my ears the entire race.
Headphones - no music = no bueno
I'm still trying to figure out the lesson needed to be learned about the ipod not working. Have a back up plan? Don't put all your eggs in one basket? Learn to think and do things in silence? hhmm...anymore ideas anyone?

I ran into alot of people up there. John Burgoin and I. Shout out to Stacy and Scott! He is proposing to me in klingon....Blahr!! Nerds! Kels "Do I LOOK like I watch Star Trek?"
Josh Thorn and Lisa Larson. Her and her sister Emily Larson (below with me) were in my stake growing up. I taught Emily in our stake mission prep class right when I got home and she thinking about a mission. She was already 25 so she was a little hesitant on going. She told me at the end of this race that she always remembers me saying "Emily, a year and a half is not that long." And it's not! She had a great mission in Guatemala and has now been home at least a year and a half.


This is one of my mom's best friends husband and son. It was fun to see them there!

Some of the guys I went down with. Karl with the hat on is some pro and ran it in 1 hour 27 min. That is crazy fast. Let's just say that I am not close to that fast but I did ok with no injuries so I'm happy about that. Since I was running in silence I decided to analyze my thoughts throughout the race. For any of you that run or do strenuous work outs, you might be able to relate.
MILE 1-3 : Why do I do this? Oh man.

MILE 4-5: I love life! I love running! Look how pretty it is!

MILE 6: Thank goodness for gel packs and Gatorade.

MILE 7-8: Ok, more than half way through. I can do this. Keep pushing. Push through the pain.

MILE 9-10: Almost there! I can run 3-4 miles it my sleep!

MIle 11-13: Keep up the pace, so close so close, you gotta beat 2 hours, come on!

and DONE!!! Complete bliss.

Until the next one....April 18th!

14 comments:

Kelsey said...

you are fabulous! Love the pics, love the update :)

ROSIE said...

good job!! good to hear the ITB didn't flare up. what kind of head phones are those? i need some new ones . . .

Alana said...

GREAT JOB! Maybe just maybe one of these days I can run along side with you :) Love it!

Bullard Family said...

You rock...Love the breakdown on miles it is so true. Lets be running buddies o.k.??? Have you sighed up for Logan yet?
Drea

Amy and Wes said...

Heids,
Way to go. Isn't the Moab 1/2 the best. Wes & I did it 2 years ago, and loved it. Although we have tried to get in again, and haven't been able to, it has become so popular. Looks like you did fabulous! Sorry about the IPOD, what a bummer.

Matt and Melody Odell said...

This was the best post ever, I would die without music too, I learned how to do it on the mission and then went right back to being dependent on music when running when I got home. I miss you so much! I am so proud of you I swear everyday you are doing something else amazing, you have such a fun life. P.S. abs still look amazing, you know your sooooo hot! love you!!

Vicki with an "i" said...

You know that when the ipod breaks down, you just sing your way home! La di freakin' da!

I don't think I have thirteen miles in me. So hats off to you amiga mia!

Elizabeth Checchio said...

You are so awesome! I can't imagine running without music, especially for that long! You look incredible as always!

Stacy said...

I love it! SO proud of you:) I'm also loving that you ran in to Jon Burgoyne. Love that kid.

Sorry about the ipod. Has it started working since? If it has, maybe you were supposed to run in silence?!?

missy d said...

Oh Heids, you are the cutest thing ever! I can just hear you talk when I read your blog... I love it! Way to go on the marathon! I think the Moab 1/2 is my goal... I just hear it's so pretty! You look freaking awesome Heidi!

Anonymous said...

That used to look fun, but I think I am way too lazy now. Anyways, let's get together.

Angela said...

Way to go - I am so proud of you and glad that you didn't end up having me pick you up and take you to a hospital in the middle of NH :)

Angela said...

And as far as the bathroom facilities all I can say is "Do Not Go In There........" :)

Amy said...

Good work! Love the pics! And I am sad I didn't see you there!