03 January, 2010

Isn't it funny..

..how we all get on the bandwagon of the New Years goals?  This year I thought "I'm going to start on Dec 26th.  Why wait until Jan 1?"  Let's just say that didn't work out at all.  From Dec 26th to Dec 31st I feel like I'm still on Christmas vacation.  All I can say is that there is just something magical about JAN 1ST that gets us all going.  


When I go to teach my kickboxing class in January it is packed!  February is about half as packed and by March it is back to normal size :)  So what can keep us all motivated throughout the year?  
(This is my motivation pyramid if you can't tell). These girls are our cute friends from Iraq that my mom helped teach in school when they were in elementary. She helped them learn English and read and was a great influence on them.  They ended up joining the church and are such wonderful girls.  We have been friends with them for 10+ years and we love them!
Anyways, back to goals.  I think it is important to do little rewards along the way (trips, sense of accomplishment, something to look forward to).  
Every year my dad has us make a "TOP TEN LIST"  for the year.  We have done this for as long as I can remember.  So here was mine that I just emailed over to my dad for this year:
1. Traveled to Dubai with Alana 
2.  Went to Sarah's wedding in Hawaii with the BFF
3.  Ran my first Triathalon in Las Vegas and the moab 1/2 marathon 

4.  Dated Cavett for 8 months and went to Jeep Safari in moab, Vegas trip, camping alot, snow boarding and Hawaii with him

5.   My best friend from college Alana got divorced, we traveled to San Diego and she moved into the condo and we painted and redecorated!  My other roommate Michelle was pregnant and had a baby.

6.  Bought a SUV when the Rodeo broke down :(
7.  Went to Disneyland for my Golden Birthday of 29 with my mom and went to the Beach in Lagoona, saw Melody in Huntington, golfed on Tiger woods home golf course and had a blast!

8.  Died my hair dark brown!
9.  Went on the singles cruise to Mexico (mazatlan, cabo and puerto vierta) with Karlee and Lindy.
10.  Was diagnosed with Bacterial overgrowth and finally got treatment and started feeling better!  
11.  Snowboarded alot.  Went with Brian's family to Snow Basin while they were in town and also Park city, Brighton and Snow bird the rest of the year.

(I secretly snuck in 11).  A lot of these had goals that were associated with them and they were rewards to reach the goals.  Some were just for fun :)

I think you all should make a top ten list and save them every year!  It's a fun to take a quick look back at the highlights of one year.  We used to all say "bug dad.  Don't bug us about top ten."  Now I love it!  

Today in church I heard a good idea of making a new goal each month and working on that for the month instead of something for the whole year.  I liked this idea!  

A big thing i want to focus on this year is being CLEAN!!

Like the fresh fallen snow! So clean huh? This includes alot of things and yes people, a clean room is at the top of my list. Your real weaknesses are the one's that are hardest to change but I have faith I can do it ! 

“And if MEN come unto me I will show unto them THEIR WEAKNESS. I give unto MEN WEAKNESS that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for ALL MEN that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them” (Ether 12:27).

 Also I want to be clean in mind, talk, spirit etc. Clumping them all into one. 

Another goal will have to be to get a new camera. I was in LOVE with mine and lost it (hence no Christmas or New years pics). 

Well today my bishop announced

 "2010 will be a REMARKABLE and INCREDIBLE YEAR for us all!" and my mom said "Even years are the best years!"
All positive comments. I'll take them!
HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE and best wishes in 2010!!

6 comments:

ROSIE said...

Ya! Love the top 10! I love going back over the highlights of the previous year. It makes you realize that we have really do have RAD lives!!

Anonymous said...

We do a top 5 every birthday but it always ends up being a top 10. Personally, I hate goals- won't even do them.

Kelsey said...

come be clean at my house :)

Angela said...

Glad to see we made it- even if it was number 11!

Breanne Simpson said...

I love the comment that even years are the best and you'll take those positive comments! You're the best! Love ya chica!

Neal said...

Heidi Hughes! Long time no see. How in the heck are you?!? You've got a pretty intense blog going on here. Quite inspiring to blog more myself. But check it out...what kind of chance would I have of meeting your roommate Alana?? I'm all about quid-pro-quo deals...