22 July, 2010

Tour around your own city

You know it's actually quiet fun to take a tour around the city that you live in. We took a lazy Saturday and did a little city tour of our own. We didn't even set out to do this but it ended up that way and was a lot of fun. I felt like a tourist in my own town!
We first hit up "The Other Place Restaurant". This is a little secret discovered in my days living in the avenues. It has the best french toast and hash browns ever.
Conversation when we finished breakfast:
Me: I have a surprise for you! (it was a mint)
Brandon: What? Is it that we get to go outside and come back in?
Needless to say he LOVED 'The Other Place' as much as I hoped for!
Go try it. It's on 5th east and 3rd south
You should go to this park. I think it's Brigham Young park downtown. It has bridges and streams and is really fun to stroll around in.
Then we went to see Brigham Young's grave. They have some other statues and history there as well.
This is REALLY cool. Inside the Visitor's Center there is this BRAND NEW replica of the Salt Lake Temple. As you can see it is open so you can see all the rooms inside. There are informational computer screens around the outside so you can click on them and see what each room is used for. It was really cool to be able to put together where all the rooms are and what goes on instead of just looking at a big temple and not being able to geographically understand what is inside. This helped me a lot and we really enjoyed it.
Have you heard of Gilgal Gardens? Well this is part of it. It's a little park that used to be a man's back yard where he sculpted things. Here, this is what Wikipedia said about it:
The park, which is filled with unusual symbolic statuary associated with Mormonism, notably to the Sphinx with Joseph Smith's head, was a labor of love designed and created by LDS businessman Thomas Battersby Child, Jr. (1888-1963) in his spare time.
This is nothing owned by the church people. In fact most Mormon's think it's really weird but...to each there own when it comes to art right! It's kind of a fun place to visit and people used to sneak into it. In fact, we snuck in! For some reason it was closed that day so we did the honors of jumping the fence. Of COURSE we did!
Next stop was Cummings on 7th! It was a tradition to stop here with my mom on the way home from my harp lessons. Dad and the fam missed out. Suckers! So now it is a tradition that I give my mom these on mother's day. In fact this past mothers day I grabbed my dozen and swung around and guess who I ran right into? President Monson! He said "Oh well, hello young dear!" I shook his hand and admired his big sweet smile and warm spirit. Love Cummings!
Brandon will kill me for putting this up but ...oh well :) We came home for some pool time and after changing he came into my room like this
"Yo. Let's go. I'm ready for the pool."
Now I'm dating a rapper.
No way to finish off the night that a BFF BBQ!! Did I mention that two of these ladies are waiting for a new baby! It's a big year for the BFF! Love you gals!

Great day. I am happy.

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

Have I mentioned that I love you guys?
Cute pix! That's so great you ran into Pres Mons :)

Bullard Family said...

The other place french toast with cinnamon and sugar...mmm.. tight you know it. You are the best!

Amy and Wes said...

Fun post.
We love the Other Place too, it is the best!
So, this cute man of yours...what's the deal? Looks like you are very happy!