03 August, 2010

Foriegn Exchange

For as long as I can remember, my parents have always opened their home to anyone in need. These boys from Paraguay are their most recent visitors staying at the Hughes abode.


It all started with Corina from Germany who looked something like this. Yes, white with a big afro. I know. She was a dream I think. I was very young and she helped nanny when my mom had 5 small children. The most famous story of Corina was when we took her to Tijuana and someone slipped that we had a German with us. Oh boy! That got those Mexicans all in a huff and we were stuck at the border for hours!



Our next exchange students were Kunahero and June from Japan. This is what Kuna looked like. For years on end after his stay with us he would call my parents and the conversation went a little like this

Kuna
: "Hello! I come!"
My dad: "Oh great Kunahero. When are you coming?"
Kuna: "I here!"
My dad: "What? You're HERE?"
Kuna: "I at bus stop. You come get me?"

And so it went. One time he showed up and we were out of town! By the time I was a teenager I was teaching him all sorts of interesting new words in English. "Kiss my grass!! What mean?"

Yesterday we had a little harp/guitar jam session. This guy is only 13 and he is awesome! Our repertoire together mostly consisted of songs like 'Labamba' and 'La cucaracha'. Spanish style for life!
Then we took them down to temple square for a tour.
The Hermanita from Argentina is DOIN' the WORK! :)

They really loved it. They are so appreciative and fascinated with everything here in the US.

It was so funny. As we walked around temple square Ro would frequently blurt out. "Alright! These guys are from Paraguay. You know, U-R-gay!" He's trying to be Homer from this clip. Watch it. So funny.


I loved pulling out my Spanish and hangin with these cute boys all day. They were so nice calling Becca and I 'beautiful princesses' all day :) We'll take it! My mom is loving having them there and feeding them her famous German pancakes of course!

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

KUNAHERO!!!!! Peeing my pants. HE was the best :) Oh boy, the things we made him say. haha

Becca Burtenshaw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bullard Family said...

Loving Ro, Laughing so hard right now. You know all the boys LOVE you. Your Mom and Dad are the best. Could I call them and would they come pick me up from the bus stop? Tell Nancy I am doing it. You know I would love your moms pancakes.