19 September, 2010

City Beautiful

City of Joseph, city beautiful....
The week after we were in Florida, Brandon had to work in Kansas city. We decided to take a short flight the weekend before and road trip it to.....

YES! City Beautiful....Nauvoo!! If you are wondering why I am saying it that way, it's because that's how the song went when I was in the Nauvoo pageant as a dancer with Lane and Andrea the summer of 2000. Nauvoo means city beautiful or as the saints that lived there at the time called it 'city of Joseph.'
We LOVED seeing the newly constructed temple! It was being built daily when I lived in Nauvoo for a month but I never got to see the final outcome.

We spent so much time admiring it and pondering. Sat night we just layed on the steps and looked up at these sunstones and thought of the pioneers and how it would be to live in Nauvoo. It was a perfect moment....besides all of those pesky mosquitos. They'll get you every time in Illinois.

I love this picture of Brandon with Joseph and Hyrum on their horses going to Carthage Jail. All I see is strength, courage, faith, priesthood power, confidence and humility from men that I admire.
Now to the women. This is where the Relief Society was organized. I'll vote it in! Does that mean I have start being on time? Jk jk :)
What church might have been like for us in Nauvoo in 1830's
We were sitting in the upstairs of the Red Brick Store.
We loved seeing all the old shops and homes. This is the Smith's mansion home.
Joseph, Hyrum and Emma's graves are there close to the Mississippi River.

Wagon rides anyone?!
We'll do the honors!
Or maybe we'll drive the ox and wagon!
How about some good ol fashion Nauvoo Root Beer?
Dressing up as pioneers is a must of all musts.
Brandon LOVED looking out over the Mississippi River. We couldn't believe the Pioneers had to get across that wide water way.
Looking back and leaving the place that they love and had built from a Maleria infested swamp to become their beloved home. City Beautiful.
I love the spirit found in Nauvoo. There is nothing quite like it.

6 comments:

Kelsey said...

loved the pix! You are the hottest pioneer ever :) Nauvoo is dope. I haven't been since they built the temple. It is beautiful! Nooner :)

Marsh said...

Just checkin in on Heidi! Your life is full and amazing - as usual. Your pictures are great - and you have that wonderful love and spirit about you that I miss having around more often. love you - don't be a stranger....like you Mom - haha.

Kelly said...

You two are a cute couple. I think it is time you head out this way. I have more room then a couch this time. Miss you!

Bullard Family said...

Oh fun times in Nauvoo. You know it was the best ever. You guys are so cute! Love it.

Miche said...

Ah I'm so jealous you went to Nauvoo! :) Isn't that just the most special place ever?! And you love it extra cause you spent a summer there didn't you?! That's awesome you guys went. I just love all your posts. Looks like Marsh does too. :) lol. What can we say, we're Heidi fans.
I'll still never forget the time in my parent's kitchen when you were describing how all your boyfriends would buy you oversized stuffed animals and you did some cheerleading high kick saying "I don't like it!" ha ha. That's when my whole family became a heidi fan. love you!

Sooz said...

Hi, just came across this blog as I was doing some Nauvoo google searches, but I read you were in COJ. So was my family, since like...forever. I'm sure our paths have crossed once or twice! Glad you enjoyed your trip back!