11 October, 2010

Back to the Basics



As I cleaned my room tonight (I know...shocker) I was thinking about President Uchtdorf's General conference talk about
focusing on what matters most. To me it means to SIMPLIFY! Sometimes I think the busier I am, the more productive I am. I think this thinking came from in part from my mission. You run around, appointment after appointment, teaching, helping serving. You feel productive! Well, after this little experience...and a few others...I decided it might be time to get back to focusing on the basics.


Brandon opened up my night stand drawer.

Brandon: "Oh, I wonder what is in this Einstein bagel bag?"



He opened it up and pulled out an old, stale, half eaten bagel.

"What's this for? In case you get hungry?" After figuring out that it was as hard as a rock he said "Oh I get it, it's to throw at a robber when they break into your house!"

It's no secret to anyone that I put off cleaning my room and put almost anything ahead of it. I always use the excuse of "I am too busy!" Which i really feel that I am! However as I ate humble pie when Elder Uchtdorf talked and Brandon made the statement of "I didn't know Tornados hit in Utah!" (talking about my room) I was motivated to get back to the basics. So, what are the basics?
RELATIONSHIPS!

With who?
1-GOD 2- FAMILIES 3- FELLOW MEN 4-YOURSELF

I thought the last one was very interesting. Yourself? Do you even like yourself? Spend sometime alone in nature and think about God, you, yourself etc.

Fellowmen? I'll take time to improve my relationship with these 4 any day!

We can always also improve our relationship with God and our families. My mom made an interesting comment to me the other day. She said "You never arrive." In the gospel, your marriage, family relationships. You never are done. This could seem hard or overwhelming but it actually is a gift that we are able to think of new ways and new avenues to serve in these different capacities in our lives in order to improve our relationships in life.

Here's to focusing on the basics!


10 comments:

Angela said...

Get cleaning your room and I am forwarding this to Hillary, so she will get cleaning her room! Glad we are number two on the list of priorities....be making me number one and get calling! By the way you look sizzling!

Becca Burtenshaw said...

LOVE getting to the basics! nice reminder! AND love that when i'm sleeping over at your place, we have a weapon to protect ourselves in that Einstein's bag!

Vicki with an "i" said...

Save that bagel! I'll eat it!

Dennis and Nancy said...

Nope!! Your mom doesn't have rock hard bagles around. You can't blame me for that one!! (I use sling shot.......save the bagel for the stone)
p.s. Let's get fresh bagels soon ok?

alana said...

HaHa - you know I'm laughing about the bagel story :) At least we were productive last night...

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Watch out Brandon if you try to pretend I'm your girlfriend again, you'll get that bagel thrown at you!!

Miche said...

Love it! You are the best Heids! That's what I love most about you- under all the spaz is so much depth! :) Put them together and you've got the complete package. :) I loved his talk too! It really is so hard to simplify sometimes. And I really liked the comment in the other post about never "arriving". It's so true what your mom said. Oh how I miss you guys. Glad you enjoyed conference and don't even get me started on the bit about you cleaning your room. Remember when I cleaned it for you when you took off on the mish? ya- you owe me one sister!

Kelsey said...

I think Brandon should come to my house... :) ha ha
I bet I have a bagel around here somewhere.
Cute pix.

Unknown said...

Love the pic of you and B! Too cute! Thanks for the reminder, needed it today!