01 June, 2010

Erhard Martin Wagner

May 19, 1917 ~ May 26, 2010

Hometown: Sandy, UT


I absolutely LOVE THIS MAN. He was a best friend, an example and inspiration to me. I flew in from Florida this morning one short hour before I was to sing and play at his funeral. I visited him once a week for the last two years and every time I would call him and tell him I was coming over he would say "Heidi, Let's make a music!" in his strong German accent. We would sing and play songs and he would say "Oh Heidi, I want this one at my funeral...oh and I want that one." We finally condensed it down to 4 songs I was able to play today for my dear friend. I luckily didn't mess it up because he said if I did he would have 'grabbed at me from out of his casket!'

This hymn is how I feel right now.
Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.


Anxious to spend his 67th anniversary with his bride, and one week after celebrating his 93rd birthday, Erhard Martin Wagner died of congestive heart failure on May 26, 2010 at Legacy House Assisted Living, South Jordan, Utah. Erhard was born to Martha Elisabeth Hilbert and Martin Paul Wagner May 19, 1917, in Geyersdorf, Erzgebirge, Germany.


At the age of 12, I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, after missionaries came to our door and taught my family. I graduated from the community college in the textile trade, hoping to take over my father’s business. World War II changed all of our plans. I was a soldier from 1938 to 1945 in the German Army, spending time in two prison camps, and seeing action at many historical battles: the Maginot Line, Dunkirk, the Russian Front, and Versaille. During the war, I met and married Marianne Elsa Langheinrich. Three children came during the war years, Klaus Ulrich, Gerhild, and Hans Christian. With those three, and overcoming challenges, we emigrated from Germany to the United States in 1953. We resided in Gunnison Utah, where a son, Steven Martin was born. We then moved to the Avenues of Salt Lake City, adding a daughter, Joan, to our family, just before Steven died of Leukemia. 47 years later, we made our next move to Sandy, Utah to live with Joan and her family.


To provide for his family in his adopted country, Erhard worked up to three jobs simultaneously, retiring from Continental Bakery (Wonder Bread). Hard work was his life, professionally and in the Church. He served three missions, one just following WWII, leaving his wife and family to help in the spiritual rebuilding of his home country, later serving two missions with his wife as companion, in Munich first, and at the Frankfurt Temple. Erhard served as High Councilor, Counselor in a bishopric, faithful home teacher, and High Priests Group Leader; Erhard never waivered in his faith.

Erhard is survived by his children, Klaus Ulrich Wagner, Salt Lake, Gerhild (Tyler) Smith, Hanford California, Hans Christian Wagner, Mebane, North Carolina, and Joan Francis (Gale), Sandy, Utah. He is also survived by a sister, Alice Flade (John), South Jordan, and brother-in-law Armin Langheinrich (Ruth), Salt Lake City, fourteen grandchildren, and 25 great grandchildren (two more soon). He was preceded in death by son, Steven, parents, in-laws, Paul and Elsa Langheinrich, and his beloved wife, Marianne.

Profound thanks is given for the care in these last years by Hearts of Hospice, Nancy, Alyssa, Heidi, and Jeanne; Legacy House Assisted Living hosted him these last months, serving his needs with amazing kindness.

A viewing will be held at the Crescent View 11th Ward chapel, 89 East 11000 South, Sandy Utah, Monday evening, May 31, 2010, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

The funeral will be held at Larkin Mortuary, 260 East South Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah, at 10:00 a.m. Tuesday, June 1, 2010, preceded with a viewing from 8:30 to 9:45 a.m.

Dad loved missionary work and would love to see donations made to the LDS Church Missionary Fund in lieu of flowers. Auf Wiedersehen, Vati.

His legacy of love and missionary work will live in my heart forever! I love you my sweet friend.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

so glad you got to go! What a sweetheart :) He sounds like a fabulous man.
Love you

Angela said...

Good for you- I am so proud of you! You change lives for the better!